For some time Chrissie from Slow Cooker Queen and Mediocre Mum ran Slow Cooker Sunday recipe linky.As she unable to continue she has let me take over the Slow Cooker Sunday linky.This weekly linky runs from 9am Sunday until 12pm Friday.
What you need to know
Write up your slow cooker recipe, there’s a badge to add to your post (get the code from the sidebar) and don’t forget to add the link to this post.Add your link here, I’ll share your recipe on Twitter, FB, G+ and Pinterest.Let others know that you’ve joined the linky by sharing the link to my post and tag me so I can reshare it.
Do take time to visit others who have taken part in the spirit of making friends in the blogger community.
Slow Cooker vegetable lasagna
This recipe takes about an hour to prepare, I reserve it to make on the weekends.The lasagna is made in three parts, tomato sauce, vegetable filling and then the bechamel sauce.I’ve never had any problems making, there’s enough sauce to keep it moist and the lasagna sheets are perfectly cooked and never dry.The vegetables are what I had available in my fruit and veg delivery box, so feel free to choose your own from what’s in season.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 2 x 400g cans of tomatoes (I used 8 fresh salad tomatoes)
- 150ml red wine
- 150ml vegetable stock
- handful of basil leaves
- For the vegetable filling
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery
- 250g green beans
- 6-8 lasagna sheets
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan cheese
- 175g vegetarian mozzarella cheese
- For the bèchamel sauce
- 50g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- Start with the tomato sauce by heating the oil in a large saucepan and cooking the onion and garlic for 3 minutes until softened.Stir in the carrot and pepper and cook for a further two minutes.Add the tomatoes and red wine and season with salt and pepper.Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes and add the vegetable stock.Simmer for a further 15-20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and has thickened.Stir in the basil, season and set the sauce aside.
- Next make the by vegetable filling heating the oil in a large frying pan and add the leek, pepper, celery and green beans and cook for 2-3 minutes.Keep on stirring and cook until the celery is soft. Season and set aside.
- For the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan and stir in the flour and cook over a gentle heat.Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk, beating in between each addition.Return to the heat and continue stirring until sauce thickens.Stir in the nutmeg and season.Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Now to assemble the lasagna. Start by lightly buttering the sides of the slow cooker pot.Spoon half of the tomato sauce to cover the bottom of the pot then add 2 lasagna sheets, one in the middle and the other one break in half and fit either side of the whole sheet.Add a half of the vegetable filling, then a third of the béchamel sauce and third of the cheeses.
- Repeat with another layer of lasagna sheets, the remaining tomato sauce and vegetable filling and another third of the and cheeses.Finally top with remaining lasagna sheets, béchamel and cheeses.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.Test by eating a corner of a lasagna sheet.Serve your slow cooker vegetable lasagna with crusty garlic bread and a green salad.